"hollywood trash"

My photo
west hollywood, california, United States

Sunday, April 06, 2008

OK...I'M AN JERK

i've been getting a lot of shit in the last several days, personally and in print, regarding my characterization of some women at a bobby sherman concert in 1998...

i'm not retracting my comments--i will, instead, elaborate on my original observation for further clarification that i am not the anti-christ...'K?

(and, i will not print a picture of the women mentioned in my friend dan's column--go talk to him about it--)

these women i wrote of didn't need to lose 20, 30 or even 50 pounds, these were morbidly obese women who were pushing 400 pounds at least and it depressed me -- here were my peers, these 40-year-old women, and here they had let themselves fall into such a state of disrepair it was astonishing...and embarrassing to me for some reason -- i don't know where it comes from, but inherently, morbid obesity makes me angry...


trying desperately not to judge for a moment, i looked at these women with an overwhelming sense of melancholy as they clung to that chain-link fence screaming out for their idols...

for that wisp of time i imagined all of us there that evening as the 13-year-olds we had been: naive, vibrant, hopeful...

i got sad and mad and i dared to say said it out loud--

dissect it. analyze it. do what you will...i'm sure it's my problem not theirs -- they were at the concert just trying to have fun

most days i'm fairly compassionate and empathetic--however, i do have a terrible mean streak as the result of being mentally tortured by a very cruel father for, oh, 30 years or so-- (you gotta think fast and mean when you're a 4' tall kid facing down a 6' + man) -- i am not using that as an excuse, it's a fact and i've been working on modifying the bitch within for several years now...

to wit:

I AM SORRY IF I HURT ANY ONE'S FEELINGS--
(but getting on a treadmill and putting down the cinnabons isn't a bad idea either~)